Craving a sandwich for lunch? Sandwiches make great lunches because they are so sustainable. When you eat a sandwich, you are getting a healthy serving of carbs, protein, and many vitamins depending on the veggies you put inside of the sandwich. To ensure that your sandwich is as healthy as possible, the first place you need to start is with the bread. Here are the five things you should look for to ensure that your sandwich immediately starts off healthy:
- 100% Wheat: To get the most nutrition out of your bread, you want to consider 100% whole wheat or grain because these are complex carbs, unlike white bread which is a simple carb that does not have as much nutritional value. If you don't like the taste of wheat, add the right spreads to combat the taste, such as mustard or mayo. This will make the bread taste less dry and a bit sweeter.
- Avoid Large Ingredient Lists on Bread Packaging: If you are going to purchase your own bread, be sure to look at the ingredients on the package. Bread that contains many ingredients aren't going to be as nutritious because the bread has been highly modified. If you are buying a sandwich from a shop, you can always ask what the ingredients are or just ask for bread that does not contain any added sugars, such as high fructose corn syrup.
- Avoid High Calories: Certain breads contain too many calories . Generally, wheat breads contain a healthy number of calories. Be sure to check what the number of calories for each slice of bread would be. The best option is bread that contains less than 200 calories for two slices of bread.
- Check for Fiber Content: People often don't get enough fiber in their diet. Luckily, many wheat breads are the perfect foods for getting fiber in your diet. Be sure to ask how much fiber is in the bread that you are going to consume. Having at least a few grams of fiber is the best way to ensure you are eating the healthiest bread type possible.
- Check for Protein: This is especially important if you do not eat meat. Choosing bread that contains protein on top of using hummus for the spread is the best way to get plenty of protein in your body for the day. The bread should contain a few grams of protein, so be sure that you ask or check for this.
When you know the five things to look for in bread for your sandwich, you can be sure that you are getting the healthiest option for the basic ingredient on your sandwich. Visit a local sandwich place, like Juice & Java Cafe at Equinox, for more options.Share